Saturday, January 16, 2010

A Foggy Day In London town






So I am just a little over a week into my semester abroad here in London! It's crazy, I feel like I've been here forever, and yet just arrived all at once.

Last night I, along with most of my fellow program participants, went to the Imperial College Union for a club night. Something to note, going out here in UK is much different than it is back home. They start early at pubs, which close at 11pm, and then may or may not conti
nue on to a club that can stay open until 4am. BUT! The city likes to make it tricky, they shut down the tube (pronounced chube) at midnight and leave you with the option of taking a night bus, which runs on completely different routes and schedules than the day buses. I've concluded that the Brits enjoy making things difficult, probably because they are quite good at it. Example: when entering the tube you must tap your Oyster card (like a Chicago Go card) before walking through the gates, but you must also tap out when you have compl
eted your ride. Unnecessary? Yes, I thought so too. It becomes especially troublesome during rush hour when you and the rest of London must queue up in order to leave the pits of the earth (where the tube is located- seriously much deeper than the red line). Ah, I'm getting off subject. Tends to happen with ADD. So we go to the Union, where everyone is already absolutely pissed (drunk), and rightly so since it is by far the cheapest place to drink in all of London (1.60 a pint... that's pounds mind you). This "club night" basically equates to a high school dance. Hilarious. Plus, we had the first program semi-hookup. Personally I don't think it is a good idea to get involved with another person in the program, but no one asked me. So I'm antic
ipating some intense drama later on.


Today I went on a tour of The British Museum- we just saw a few of the highlights since you could literally spend days in that museum. Our tour guide was fantastic! She seemed to know everything. The Rosetta Stone is by far one of the most amazing things I have ever seen in my entire life. Oh, and I saw a bog man that was preserved with skin still intact. Scary, but also immensely fascinating. I wanted to be an archeologist while I was there. Since leaving I remembered how much I love extravagancies, like plumbing.


Yesterday afternoon we had afternoon tea, High Tea. We all got dressed up and drank tea and ate scones (pronounced scons in this country). There was also sandwiches and eclairs. It doesn't sound like that much, but we all left completely stuffed. It was great. Classy. Well, we weren't classy but I think we all put in a considerable amount of effort. I want to throw tea parties now- turns out I like tea (with milk and sugar)- you're all invited.



Hmm.. what else have I done? There was a bus tour of the city, which was great, but I will have to revisit all of those places later when it is a bit warmer. I live across the street from Kensington Gardens (later turns into Hyde Park), walked around there a few times. Its beautiful. Unfortunately some woman was found dead mysteriously behind the palace next to the pond. This happened yesterday. Fear not, I don't exercise that frequently anyway. Something that will come back to bite me in my big fat ass later on, especially with all this heavy beer they serve me here... at room temperature. Sound gross? It's not. Room temperature can freeze water here (wow, that really isn't as dramatic as "hot enough to fry an egg" but that was what I was going for).


You can't stumble out of a pub here without falling into... well another pub. Cider beer is becoming a new friend of mine. It's like mixing Andre and Budlight - I'm sure actually mixing those two things would not have a great result but I am trying to describe the flavors, so imagine the two distinct flavors not what you would think the end result would be. All pubs serve fish and chips. Jealous? You should be, it's better here. I'm going to be huge when I get back- but be nice, I'm sensitive.

1 comment:

Peter Dyson said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.